There’s More to Oral Health Than a Beautiful Smile
When you visit our office, your primary concern is the health and appearance of your smile. But there’s more to a healthy mouth than a beautiful smile. At Wayne Dental Care, we’re concerned about the entire scope of your oral health and wellness.
In addition to regular cleanings and exams, we offer oral cancer screenings using the VELscope system. This examination allows us to provide a thorough assessment of the mucosal tissue of your lips, mouth, and upper throat in less than two minutes.
How does VELscope work?
VELscope is a non-invasive oral cancer screening device. It uses a blue light that “excites” fluorescing molecules deep within the layers of oral mucosal tissues. The molecules emit shades of green, yellow, and red. Then, the VELscope filter reflects light and enhances the contrast between normal and abnormal tissue.
Why is oral cancer screening important?
Finding oral cancer early allows for more treatment options. Oral cancer screening is used to identify precancerous or cancerous lesions at an early stage. Because the sooner these lesions are detected, the easier they are to remove and treat.
What are some of the most common symptoms of oral cancer?
- A mouth or lip sore that bleeds easily or doesn’t heal
- Red or white sores in the oral cavity
- Swelling or lump in the cheek, jaw, or neck
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or speaking
- Sudden or unexplained changes in the way your teeth fit together
- Persistent mouth pain
- Recurring sore throat or hoarseness
- Numbness in the mouth or chin
What are the highest risk factors for oral cancer?
- Heavy tobacco use of any type
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Significant sun exposure, which increases the risk of lip cancer
- Contracting the human papillomavirus (HPV)
- A weakened immune system
- Previous oral cancer diagnosis
How can I prevent oral cancer?
- Avoid all tobacco products and consume alcohol in moderation
- Limit sun exposure and wear sunscreen on your skin and lips
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet and bake, boil, or steam food
- Get regular oral cancer screenings
Remember an oral cancer screening at your regular dental checkup is one of the best tools to aid in the detection of oral cancer. Oral cancer screenings are a precautionary measure. If any abnormalities are detected, further screening and testing will be required.
If you live in Wayne, Pennsylvania, or the surrounding areas, call Wayne Dental Care to schedule your appointment.