Tricks for Staying Healthy This Halloween
Who doesn’t love Halloween? Not only does it remind us that fall is upon us, it also ushers in the holiday season. From mid-October on, Wayne, Pennsylvania, houses will be decorated to the nines, shops will be full of seasonal treats, and calendars will be packed with social engagements. If you haven’t already purchased your Halloween treats for this year (because, let’s be real, the longer it’s in the house the more likely it is to be eaten before the 31st), you’re in good shape, because Wayne Dental Care has a few tips and tricks to keep your family’s teeth healthy:
- Choose chocolate. Because chocolate is soft, it’s less likely than other candies to harm your dental work or teeth. If you opt for dark chocolate, you’ll also have the benefits of less sugar and healthy antioxidants.
- Avoid sour candies like the zombie plague. The acidity in these treats can weaken tooth enamel. If you DO enjoy a sour treat, flush out the acids and sugars by drinking 8 ounces of water then wait about 30 minutes before brushing and flossing.
- No biting, zombie or not! Sure … the faster you get through each piece of candy, the sooner you get to eat another one, but biting hard candy such as Life Savers can harm your dental work and potentially chip or crack your teeth.
- Time it right. The best time to eat candy is after dinner. Not only will you be less likely to overdo it with the sweet stuff on a full stomach, but your mouth produces extra saliva during meals to aid with digestion, which will help naturally clean candy particles from your teeth.
- Step away from the candy. If you keep returning to the candy bowl all day long, your teeth will be sugar-coated all day long, too. It’s better for your teeth if you eat candy in one sitting, brush your teeth, and then put the candy bowl out of reach for a while.
- Don’t forget to brush and floss! This goes without saying, but your dental health regimen is even more important with you’ve got sugar sitting on and between your teeth.
We hope you and your little ghosts and goblins have a fantastic Halloween. If you live in Wayne, Pennsylvania, or the surrounding areas, we’d love to “treat” you to outstanding dental care. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.